Finding housing in Manchester is incredibly difficult and will depend on a number of factors. 

If you want to move to Manchester from another city:

If you have been placed by the government in housing in another city, but want to move to Manchester, we strongly recommend you stay in the city you have been placed in. The local council there will be responsible for providing accommodation for you, however if you move to Manchester, Manchester City Council will not take responsibility for housing you until you have been living in Manchester for 2 years, which could mean you may be homeless for 2 years unless you have people to stay with. Even after two years, you may still struggle for housing.

If you are a Manchester resident but can’t get council housing

If you are struggling to obtain council housing through Manchester Move, then we can provide a list of private landlords as recommended by Manchester City Council.

For further questions regarding housing please book an appointment at our General and Welfare Advice session on a Monday or Thursday from 10am -1pm. Please book an appointment here: bit.ly/mrsn-advice

We do not offer counselling or mental health support.

If you would like mental health support please contact some of the following:

We mostly specialise in welfare and immigration advice, however below we have listed some of our projects or other organisations who specialise in this area.

  • The Shared Routes Project is a 6 week online training course where clients are taught about British culture and administration. For more information please click here and contact Randa on randa@mrsn.org.uk 
  • On a Sunday we run adult football sessions, you can find more details if you click here
  • We run activities for elderly people living in North Manchester. Please click here for more details.  

For activities with other organisations within Manchester, please see the list below:

Please use this virtual map to find local support for refugees and asylum seekers.

We do not accept second hand clothes or items donations as we do not have the staff capacity or space to store these donations. 

However you can donate items and clothes to Refugee Aid Chorlton. Details can be seen below.

Refugee Aid Chorlton

You can also donate to Coats4Kids who need donations of good quality coats and shoes of all sizes for primary school children. If you have any to donate, contact Michelle on 07940 758168 or michelle.wright@onemanchester.co.uk

We receive enquiries daily for interviews for journalism or for university research. Unfortunately we are a very small team and do not have the capacity to respond to these enquiries so we will decline any requests.